John Waters commencement speech at the Rhode Island School of Design was turned into the book, Making Trouble. One famous graduate of the school was Seth MacFarlene, the creator of Family Guy.
Here are the ten quotes I enjoyed from the book:
- He’s been able to do what he loves best for fifty years without ever having to get a real job.
- Gets up every day at 6 a.m. Monday to Friday and thinks up insane stuff.
- Ask for the world and pay no mind if you are initially turned down.
- All you need is one person to say “get in,” and off you go. And the confidence begins.
- Play is equally import to your education as work
- REMEMBER: You must participate in the creative world you want to become part of.
- Read, read, read!
- Today may be the end of your juvenile delinquency, but it should also be the first day of you new adult disobedience.
- Go out in the world and fuck it up beautifully.
- It’s your turn to make trouble.