Projects I’m planning to start, this year, to build my trail.
1) Create Pittsburgh Marathon Charity Runner Team for a local charity.
2) Focus my data science research on projects that I can add to my GitHub profile. I want my projects to speak for me instead of my resume.
3) Present a speech every week.
I’ve written about this in my Speech of the Week blog series. This goal, and a number of these goals, are inspired by Seth Godin’s blog post, Graduate school for the unemployed college student. My goal is to create, practice, perform, and review a speech every week until the end of the year.
– When will I perform my next speech?
October 16: Dawn Patrol Toastmasters Club.
– Next Speech?
Oct 23: PNC PREP Speaks
Here are a few other goals Seth recommends and my thoughts on how I’ll achieve them.
1) Run a project for a non-profit.
I think I could relate this to the charity run I’m planning to organize. Early next year, I’d like to continue working with FreeCodeCamp and get involved with helping nonprofits with their technology issues.
3) Start, run, and grow an online community
I really want to focus and achieve this goal. I’m not sure what type of community to create. I’ve started thinking I should create a community of people who are interested in improving their public speaking skills. A place online where people would be free to upload videos of their speeches to get feedback and connect with other like-minded people who want to improve their public speaking.
4) Give a speech a week at a local organization
I’ve discussed this in my above speech every week goal. I’m completing this in 2015.
5) Write a regular newsletter or blog about an industry I care about.
This is what I’m doing here on coreykeller.com with Must Love Data Mondays. By the end of 2015, I’ll have completed my first year of writing a daily blog post.
6) Learn a foreign language fluently.
Started using DuoLingo to learn Italian. I’m going to get my wife to start using the app because my goal is to one day, Speak Italian With my Wife While We’re Drinking Wine in Italy (future blog post).
7) Write three detailed business plans for projects in the industry you care about.
I’m thinking about three data science projects I want to create. I’d like them to be about the city of Pittsburgh but there will be more on this towards the end of the year.
8) Self publish a book
There are three books I’ve been thinking about for the past few years. 1. My novella 2. Dad’s Life Lessons 3. Complete Zig Ziglar’s advice to write a book about how to be successful. This is how Zig wrote his famous book, See You at The Top.
9)Run a marathon
I’ve done one before and I’m planning to complete my second as a charity runner in 2016.